REFORMED (HUNGARIAN) CHURCH IN AMERICA: In the earlier stages of the Hungarian immigration to this country those who were identified with the Reformed churches of their own land to a considerable degree united with the Reformed Church in the United States or with the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America. As their congregations increased in numbers, a separate classis in the Reformed Church in the United States was organized for them, but there were quite a number who desired closer connection with the Mother Church in Hungary, especially with a view to securing pastors familiar with their own language. Appeals were made to Hungary, resulting in the visit in 1902 to this country of Count Joseph Degenfeld, curator-general of the Reformed Church in Hungary. As a result of his observations and of a report made by him on his return, the General Convention of the Reformed Church in Hungary decided to assist such congregations as were willing to submit themselves to its care and supervision, both by sending ministers and by rendering financial aid.
The Hungarian Reformed Church in America was organized on Oct. 7, 1904, in New York City, with 6 congregations and 6 ministers. At the time of the census (1906) there were 16 organizations, with 18 ministers and 5,253 members, worshiping in 11 church edifices and 4 halls, owning church property valued at $123,500, besides 6 parsonages worth $26,500. The membership included 3,404 males and 1,549 females. There were 4 Sunday-schools with 179 scholars.
EDWIN MUNSELL BLISS.