1. The Evangelical Union of Scotland: A religious body formed at Kilmarnock, Scotland, May 16, 1843, at a meeting attended by four ministers, one evangelist, and eight elders, representing three churches and two preaching stations. The ministersJames Morison of Kilmarnock, his father Robert Morison of Bathgate, John Guthrie of Kendal, and Alexander C. Rutherford of Falkirkhad been virtually expelled from the Secession Church for holding the doctrine of an unlimited atonement and protesting against the condemnation of James Morison (q.v.) by the Secession Synod. The distinctive doctrines affirmed were "the universality of the atonement, the universality and moral nature of the influences of the Holy Spirit, and the simplicity of faith, which, by means of its object, Jesus Christ, as made known in the Gospel, brings peace to the conscience and purity to the heart." The Independent ecclesiastical polity was adopted, each church to be complete in itself. The membership of the union was soon increased and an impetus was given to its work by a number of churches, ministers, and studentsJohn Kirk, Fergus Ferguson, Peter Mather, William Bathgate, and otherswho were dissociated from the Congregational Union of Scotland for holding views similar to those of James Morison (see FERGUSON, FERGUS) . It was not intended originally to be a sect or a separate denomination, but revival meetings held over the whole country and the wide preaching of the doctrines of the Union led to the formation of churches and this necessitated organization. A theological academy was instituted with James Morison as first professor, and John Guthrie was added as colleague in a few years; other professors were appointed later and the classes were comparatively large. The business of the Union was carried on by an Annual Conference and the committees it appointed.
The influence of the Union was far in excess of what might have been expected from its members. Ministers and laymen zealously expounded their views in opposition to the Calvinistic doctrines of the Westminster Confession, and numerous tracts, pamphlets, and books were issued from the publishing house and circulated widely. The Christian News (weekly) was started in 1846 and continued for sixty years. The Evangelical Repository (quarterly) was commenced in 1854 and continued for thirty-four years. A monthly Forward existed for seven years and the Day Star and Dew Drop had a large circulation for half a century. The members of the Union were among the pioneers of the temperance movement in Scotland. All of its clergy and ninety per cent of its members were total abstainers and no liquor dealer was allowed to join any of the churches. In 1896 the churches of the Unionmore than ninety in numberunited with the Congregational Union of Scotland, securing their historical position by a prefatory note placed at the head of the constitution of the united body which states, among other things, that they were moved and encouraged to seek union "in order to effective cooperation in extending the Kingdom of God and proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ, through whose person and work as God Incarnate, and the saving and sanctifying grace of God, the Holy Spirit, God the Father in his love has made provision for, and is seeking the salvation of all men." A few small and unimportant churches still retain the name Evangelical Union.
2. For the German "Evangelical Union for the Preservation of German Protestant Interests," see BUND, EVANGELISCHER.