ANDERSON, JOSEPH: Congregationalist; b. at Broomtoro (a hamlet of Rossshire), Scotland, Dec. 16, 1836. He was educated at the College of the City of New York (B.A., 1854) and Union Theological Seminary (1857), and held successive pastorates at the First Congregational Church, Stamford, Conn. (1858-61), the First Congregational Church, Norwalk, Conn. (1861-64), and the First Congregational Church, Waterbury, Conn. (1865-1905), of which he is now pastor emeritus. He was moderator of the General Association of Connecticut in 1877 and 1890, and of the General Conference of Congregational Churches in 1878, and has been a member of the Yale Corporation since 1884. He was also president of the Connecticut Bible Society in 1884-1904 and a delegate to the International Congregational Council held at London in 1891. He is vice-president of the American Social Science Association and of the Mattatuck Historical Society, as well as a corporate member of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, a director of the Missionary Society of Connecticut since 1875, and a member of the American Antiquarian Society and the American Historical Association. Among his numerous works special mention may be made of The Town and City of Waterbury (3 vols., Waterbury, Conn., 1896), which he edited and in great part wrote.