Presbyterian; b. at West Charlton, N.Y., Oct.12, 1843. He received his education at Union College and Princeton Theological Seminary (1870). He was pastor of the East Avenue Presbyterian Church, Schenectady, N.Y., from 1870 to 1884, and in the following year was called to the University Place Church, New York city, where he has since remained. While at Schenectady, he was likewise professor of rhetoric and logic at Union College in 1877-83. He is president of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions and of the board of trustees of São Paulo College, Brazil, as well as of the New York College of Dentistry. He is also vice-president of the Council of New York University, a trustee of Union College, and a director of Princeton Theological Seminary.