Twenty-seventh Day: "Thou anointest my head with oil."
"WHY anoint the head with oil? Ah! David has in mind a picture of
the high priest in the sanctuary. In the most holy place of the tabernacle
God revealed himself, but a curtain hung before it, and no one could pass
that curtain and look upon God and live; but once a year, on the great
day of atonement, it was the privilege of the high priest to pass within
the veil, and stand in the presence of God. Just before the veil opened,
and he passed in, his head must be anointed with oil. Oil is the symbol
of the Holy Spirit. This anointing was the symbol of the Spirit's work
preparing him to go in before God. It is written, 'Without holiness, no
man shall see the Lord.' 'We are not yet ready to come face to face with
God, but when the good Shepherd is leading us through the valley, and we
come to heaven's gate, just before we pass in, the Holy Spirit will finish
his work of sanctification, and we, by him, will be prepared to meet God.
'Thou anointest my head with oil.'"
Yet there is an anointing for the present time, which each may claim.
1. Oil to make the face shine. Ps. 104:15. It is not possible to come in
touch with the Holy Ghost, and not reveal the fact in our lives.
2. The oil of gladness. Ps. 45:7. Satan cannot rob us of our life, but
he may deprive us of our joy. It is the work of Christ to bring us to heaven,
but it is the work of the Spirit to bring heaven to us now.
SUGGESTIONS FOR TODAY.
1. Whatever your past experience may have been in Christ, claim a fresh
anointing for today from the Holy Ghost.
2. Remember that every Christian is a priest, but he cannot execute the
priestly office without unction, and hence we must go day by day to God
the Holy Ghost, that we may have our heads anointed with oil.
3. Remember that a priest in touch with any dead thing could not execute
his office. Ask yourself over and over today, "Is my heart right in
the sight of God?"
4. Live for one day, at least, a separated life.